Thursday, February 5, 2009

~Call Me Sentimental~

The other day I came upon a couple shoe boxes in the back of my closet.
However rather than shoes, the contents of the boxes were old letters, notes, cards, pictures and so forth. Some were drawings Spencer and Chandler had made for me when they were very tiny. Also amongst the treasure trove, were several Valentine cards Matt and I had exchanged~some dating 13 years ago!
As I sat on the edge of the bed and read them, for a few minutes, time seemed to stand still. I was taken back in time. It is difficult to even put into words how I felt. Some of the cards made me laugh out loud, others made me sigh and smile.

It was on Valentines Day 1996, that Matt first said those "3 little words" to me for the very first time. I know, I know Valentines' Day is such a Hallmark holiday and it is so cliche' to say "I love you" to a girlfriend for the first time on that day.

'Twas on the 95th floor of the John Hancock building in Chicago, with a jazz band playing in the background, that we had that first Valentine's day together.
I think back and laugh, because when Matt told me he loved me, I couldn't hear him over the music. I proceeded to LOUDLY say, "huh?!?"
Poor guy, he probably wanted to crawl quietly away from me.

But he didn't, he stayed, I stayed and we have been together for 13 amazing years. God is so goodto me! I have been blessed with love. And as Valentines Day approaches, and as those cards go back in the boxes, and as I store those past memories, I grab on to the present and the future and the promise of many more sweet memories.
I know this may be silly, and sentimental to write about, but to me it is how I am feeling tonight, and isn't that what blogging is all about anyway?

No comments: